- 4 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 4-5 celery stalked, chopped
- 5 large cans (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 4 large cans (30 oz.) dark red kidney beans or 7-8 (15.5 oz.) cans
- ½ c. ketchup
- 4-5 drops tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1-2 teas. each dried spices: basil, oregano, thyme, parsley flakes
- 4 T. chili powder
- ½ teas. pepper
- ½ teas. salt
- Minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 3 T. light brown sugar
- In large skillet, brown ground beef with onions, peppers, and celery in batches.
- Add to large pot or Dutch Oven (8 qt. or larger).
- Add tomatoes and beans, then all other ingredients.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring often as chili “cooks down” or thickens.
- Serve alone, over cooked rice, or with toppings—oyster crackers, shredded cheddar/other cheese, chopped onions, chopped ripe olives, dollop of sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips.
- Follow same steps for large crockpot; cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.